Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 02:58:05PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> > I assume you mean use unstable? see below.
>
> No, you can simply use private repositories, or backports, or whatever
> else.  There need be no Debian-branding of it in any way.  What Debian
> gives people is some kind of assurance about the stability and care
> that goes in to it, and so far, what I have heard is that you want to
> be entirely unrestricted.

Except that those private repositories and backports have no policy and no
maintenance. My proposal is to create a policy for a repository with
maintenance, security updates which introduces new packages and provides new
functionality on outdated or useless packages from stable, and is built against
stable.

Puting a debian branding and effort on having such idea would make Debian only
better. For those who want to use such infrastructure.

And some people have already outlined a policy draft on the list. We can take
them and try to make policy out of them.

--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.4.27|Helsinki Finland

It's called a change-over. The movie goes on and nobody knows the
difference.
		--Narrator (Fight club)