Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:12:48PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> In other words, are your upgrades going to be "install the latest
> upstream", or are they going to be "fetch the relevant new things from
> upstream and put them in the old thing"?  I agree completely that the
> latter is more work, but that is not an excuse for choosing the
> destabilizing strategy.

It is my point of view that with volatile in place, the policy for allowing
updates on such repository could introduce things which break other apps.
Being such the police applied, it makes sense for a machine which stands on a
network edge scanning virii, spams and perhaps doind some traffic analysis.

Then again the pace and policy for upgrades should not be "let anything go in"
but rather "coordinate the things that go in so that as less as possible
breaks".

In the case of spamassassin with razor/pyzor + amavisd-new + clamav, the
packages should be built on top of the existing stable release, and be known
to work together nicelly, by communicating the interested parties that testing
previous to the release is done.

No coordination (same as it would be in a stable release ramp up), means
package is out. Or release is delayed.

--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.4.27|Helsinki Finland

You've poisoned me for the last time, you wretched girl!
		--Dr. Finkelstein (The Nightmare Before Christmas)