Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> I think the problem is not so much whether s.d.o is the right place,
> but rather whether anti-virus stuff can go in there. Security fixes
> are backported to ensure no new features trickle in and to minimise
> changes. With AV software and the like, this may not be possible.
> Who knows what kind of viruses require what kind of steps to be
> taken to detect them.

Ah!  See, I think you are exactly right.  The issue is not whether we
have a place for the thing, but rather what maintenance policies we
want to impose on the thing.

I can see no solution other than "do the best thing", which I admit is
not of much substantive help.  But I want the "best thing" to involve
being as conservative as possible about changes, and I am greatly
worried that part of the motivation for having a different policy is
simply because it might be too much *trouble* to do backporting.

Thomas