Re: Had a talk with an Oracle person yesterday

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 07:31:30AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>   2) Debian does not support stable releases for five years as RedHat or
>   SuSE do.

Does RHEL have 5 year support now, out of the box?  I don't have to pay an
inordinate amount of money to get long-term support? ...

>      IMHO this problem is more or less easy to fix if those companies who
>      sell Debian support would speak up and guarantee security fixes for
>      older
>      releases.  I guess they might do this anyway but they should it declare
>      openly.

... Because, if someone's willing to throw enough money at me, I'll give you
five years of security support for your Debian systems.  But getting it "out
of the box" might not be so simple.

One thing that might be useful is the Ubuntu system; they're apparently
going to "bless" certain releases for something like 7 years of security
support; that'll effectively get you a Debian (very-like) system that Oracle
can target.

>   3) I asked whether it might make sense to support LSB instead of a certain
>      distribution.  Because I'm not an LSB expert I was not able to
>      invalidate
>      the arguments that there are:
>        - no fixed gcc version
>        - no fixed glibc version
>        - no fixed kernel versions and unpredictable patches inside the
>        kernel
>      (If you ask me than software that depends from certain versions of the
>       above is not well designed - but I might be wrong here.)

I don't think it's so much a depending on certain versions, as knowing that
there are no bugs in the supported versions that will cause problems for the
applications on top of it.