Re: Spam, ASNs, CIDRs, and d-u

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 02:10:55PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> In theory, there are filters to prevent that, but they have little
> effect in practice.  Prefixes are a bit like mail addresses, and ASNs
> (both origin and transit) are comparable to Received: headers: both
> can be easily forged by an intermediate hop.  (Even more accurate
> would be an analogy to Usenet and its Path: header.)  Of course,
> forged email headers are extremely common, and BGP hijacking is
> relatively rare.  But this might change if there is substantial
> incentive to spammers to attack Internet routing.

One would hope that spammers making bogus BGP announcements would
finally be enough to make governments treat them like the criminal scum
they are and have them executed.  Individual forged spams are difficult
to prosecute because there are millions of them with low individual
impact; but I don't think most ISPs would tolerate very many instances
of address space theft before bringing law enforcement to bear on the
perpetrators.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer