Re: SSL certificates

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 04:47:46PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> what we do. Debian is about Free Software, not about the services
> around it.

You need an SSL certificate to make Free software almost usable.  Free
software as an SMTP relay with a clear auth is stupid.

> Besides, setting up a CA is in the first place a huge responsability
> (as we would really need to check you are not using fake documents, we
> would need to have personal contact, etc.), and in the second place it

However, let me point out again that SPI and CACERTS.org already run a
CA.  With the latter clearly willing to hand them out for free. And of
course, most good Debian users have actually bothered to build up a "web
of trust". Why not use it?

> are not in the CA business. If I really want a certificate, I can get
> it from a CA. Even if it were signed by the Debian project, relatively

The CAs currently in Debian (please take a look in /etc/ssl/certs)
charge something like 200USD a year. This is prohibitive.