Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:26, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:
> It won't achieve *anything*.
> If a spam is issued by an infected machine with a dynamic IP, it can use
> the SMTP server from the ISP as well. How do you make the difference
> betwen the two?

Most ISPs have limits on the number of messages that their mail server will
receive from each IP address.  So if a spambot can send direct it can send
hundreds of messages per second, but if it goes through the ISP mail server
then it is limited to only a few per second.

If the ISP does not quickly stop the spam then their server will end up in the
SpamCop listing.  So again it's not a problem.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:51, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
<avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> Ask the people in China, or in (parts of) Spain and Italy. You *can't* just
> change your Internet provider - there is only one, really. Or do propose
> people should call long-distance/international to dial-in?

Of course not.  They can get an account on a Linux machine somewhere sane and
use a ssh tunnel.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:58, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
<avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> Same as with greylisting (which, incidentally, blocks 99.9% of the same
> spam that blocking DUL does bad without most of the bad effects): spammers
> can retry (and, in time, will) - but right now, they don't, and right now,
> I'm enjoying a virtually spam free INBOX.

Maybe you aren't as popular as I am.  Even with greylisting and DUL I still
get more spam than I like.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 03:18, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> What you get are huge spam sources like the comcast network, which now
> is deploying port 25 ACLs because it's much cheaper than effectively
> policying users.

There's another thing we could do instead of using a DUL.  We could complain
to the ISPs in question when dial-up links spam us.  Complaining by email
doesn't work, so we would have to use FAX and phone calls to the support
lines of the ISP.  If enough people do this then the ISP will block outbound
port 25 connections just to save the cost of dealing with the complaints.
Then the people who want to run mail servers on dial-up IP addresses wouldn't
complain to us, they could complain to their ISP but that wouldn't do any
good either.