sarge iso grub errors

I searched for any existing bugs matching this but I couldn't find any.

Here's what I've found. Using a sarge iso from 2 weeks ago and an iso dated today I've run into problems trying to boot from the new install. Using d-i to partition a new slave drive and then installing grub (either from d-i or booting from floppy and using a grub shell) results in an unbootable partition with just a "GRUB " prompt.

I know it's not the HD b/c I RMA'd it last week and just got a fresh one today. That and I was able to install from a woody cd and boot into grub. What do you think the problem could be here?

Seagate Barracuda 40 GB ST340014A (slave hdb)