Please -- more DFSG-free font packages, if you can maintain them well

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 05:30:14PM +0200, Kai Weber wrote:
> * Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@linuks.mine.nu>:
>
> > * Package name    : ttf-angular
>
> How many font packages are still to come? I think a small collection of
> high quality fonts is enough to have.
>
> I have installed a huge number of more or less freely available TrueType
> fonts which I hope never will be part of the Debian archives.

I think we should ship as many DFSG-free fonts as we can responsibly
maintain.

This will provide us with either:
* A concrete refutation of the common assertion that good fonts are so hard
  to make that no will ever dare license them freely; or
* An exhibit to the community of areas where we need free alternatives to
  proprietary fonts.

Personally, I remain unconvinced that fonts a problem space so incredibly
unique that intermixing them with free licensing renders them infeasible.

I also think contrived licenses like that on Bitstream Vera are a bad
precdent that should not be followed.  You can read more about this issue
in the archives

An LPGL-like license tailored to fonts (e.g., a copyleft, but you can use
the font anywhere) would be a good idea, I suspect, and permit a
sustainable free font community to develop.

Any followup on licensing issues should probably be directed to
debian-legal.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    To Republicans, limited government
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    means not assisting people they