Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:00:40PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> [2004.09.13.2128 +0200]:
> > f-prot-installer downloads both the scanner engine as well as
> > virus definitions from the vendor's FTP site. However, if they
> > decide to change FTP location, the layout of their tarballs or
> > their own update script, the installer will break. Would this
> > warrant an update to stable?
>
> No,

Why not? If the package has been completely broken by external factors,
that certainly justifies updating stable.

> but you could make it get the URL from a page under your control.
> That's what I do with my own f-prot package.

That would avoid the problem happening in the first place, of course.
(However, $DEITY forbid, you might be hit by a bus and then somebody
else would have to figure out how to regain control of the package, but
that's less likely ...)