Re: Updating scanners and filters in Debian stable (3.1)

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:40:51PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Moin,
>
> I wonder if the maintainers of

(...)
> Have you thought about keeping these packages out of sarge or did you
> develop a solution so that users can get their databases updated
> outside of the stable Debian release?

I can talk as Nessus co-maintainer. Stable uses have
'nessus-update-plugins' just for this. It still can be improved (for
example, it will not check GPG signatures for you), however.

As for Snort (which I will take over soon) I was considering providing
oinkmaster [1] (or snortcenter) for a similar mechanism for rule updates.

Regards

Javier

PS: I will routinely backport versions to woody too, but that's off the
main release.

[1] Thus closing #219996 which has not seen any change since November.