Re: Environment variables for Debian (e.g. JAVA_HOME, etc)

[Matthew Palmer]
> Or Java could be sensible and have a standard place for putting
> libraries that you didn't have to specify via an environment
> variable. Then you wouldn't even need a wrapper...

I have wondered for *years* - first, why Java doesn't do this, and
second, why Java users don't seem to see a problem with Java not doing
this.  By and large they seem to just accept calmly that you have to
set arcane variables just to run any and all programs.  This is like
having to have LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your environment in order to run ls.

A mystery indeed.

Peter