Re: Testing netapplet

Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Yes, netapplet's extended description should describe the situations in
> which the package is useful if it turns out that it can't be general
> purpose.

Ok. I've adjusted that in my local source - I'll do a new upload
shortly.

> Well, _if_ you want to use ifupdown to adjust wireless parameters
> then the way to do this is define different logical interfaces with
> different wireless-* options and to bring up the wireless physical
> interface as one of them.

Indeed. That's not what you want to do in most cases, though - doing it
at runtime through iwconfig (or accessing the wireless APIs directly)
makes more sense.

> I take it that you want netapplet to fill the same role as waproamd
> except that the Wi-Fi configuration profile switching will be manual.
> OK.

Yup. Netapplet shows the list of available networks and their signal
strengths - the user can then choose the one that they want to use.

>     iface foo ...
>         creates bar
>
> If this option is introduced then ifup can be modified to enforce it.
> That is, ifup would allow only bar to be brought up as foo.  You
> could still have multiple logical interfaces with the same physical
> interface named on their "creates" lines.

Ok, that basically does what I want it to do. I've modified netapplet so
it looks at the kernel's idea of the available interfaces, and then also
makes available interfaces with create options. That ought to cope with
the majority of cases in use at the moment. In the long run, it should
be a multiple level list - rather than an eth0 box, it should present
eth0 with a list of all available configurations. That'll take a little
longer to code up. How does that sound?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org