Re: Testing netapplet

Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I will assume that one instance of netapplet controls one physical
> interface.  Netapplet should display the name of the physical interface
> as a title and offer the user a list of logical interface names plus
> "default" and "disabled".  One of the logical interface names
> (or "disabled") is highlighted, indicating that the physical interface
> is currently configured as that logical interface (or deconfigured).
> If the user selects some other logical interface name from the list
> then netapplet deconfigures the physical interface:

I think this is the problem. That's not what netapplet does. One
instance of netapplet is used to switch between which network interface
is currently active, and perform some small amount of runtime
configuration such as switching wireless networks. In order to do that,
it needs to know:

a) the list of interfaces that currently exists (easy enough to manage -
we can get that from the kernel)
b) the list of interfaces that can be brought into existence by doing an
ifup interfacename

b is difficult. In my case, I have a tun0 device configured in
/etc/network/interfaces. Doing ifup tun0 uses pre-up statements to
establish the tunnel, which then allows ifupdown to apply the correct
configuration. This doesn't fit into your view above.

> If that was your only issue with the policy governing
> /etc/network/interfaces then I hope that I have cleared it up
> by what I have already said.

Sadly not. Your explanation of how /etc/network/interfaces should be
used doesn't correspond to some existing configurations. We need to
figure out a way that allows this sort of behaviour as well. I'm not
sure what it ought to be.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org