Re: PROPOSAL to serialize cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:54:34 +0100 Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:47:35 -0500 Steve Greenland wrote:
> > [...]
> > (... If the general consensus is that
> > chaining the daily->weekly->monthly jobs is a good idea, I'll happily
> > make the changes in the cron package.)
>
> I would say this serialization is a good idea and worth the effort, on the
> basis of system load and machine stress considerations alone.

I've just checked today's run (.daily + .weekly), and verified that
anacron does run both batches one after the other, and not concurrently.

The parallell execution issue is thus only for those that don't have
anacron installed (my .daily took 1 hour 42 minutes to complete, while
the package-supplied /etc/crontab allows only 22 minutes before
starting .weekly).

Still worth it to have cron serialize xxxly runs, I think.

Thanks.

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/