Re: PROPOSAL to serialize cron.{daily,weekly,monthly}

begin  Carlos Sousa <csousa@tvtel.pt> dedi ki:
> On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:23:38 +0200 Thomas Hood wrote:
 --8<--

>>> The opposite is true on hardware capable of true parallel
>>> operation. So once again that appears to be a matter for local
>>> configuration.
>
> OK. But then there is still the problem of conflicting concurrent jobs...
>
>> There remains the question of what the default should be.
>>
>> Would serialized execution be significantly better for the vast
>> majority of systems out there?  If so then it might be worth
>> implementing the idea.
>
> All major consumer pc stores here carry mostly (only?) single-processor
> machines. All computers I personally know about (mine, friends', of schools
> and other institutions/companies I've worked in or visited) are also in
> this category, and most are even reasonably recent machines. We're still
> a bit far from parallell hardware for the masses ;)

Also, more often than not, maintenance scripts are more I/O bound than
CPU. So an SMP system wouldn't help much. Also I/O parallelism needed.
Such a parallel system is an exception to the rule, and it will certainly
have a skilled admin to take care of everything. IMHO a default system
should be geared for resiliency and fool-proof operation, even in the
hands of a non-competent admin.

--
Abdullah        | aramazan@ |
Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |