Re: Why are the doom-engines in contrib?

In linux.debian.devel, you wrote:
> Why are the doom-engines on contrib? I didn't understand it because the
> freedoom package (that provides the .wad file) is in main, and the
> description of the package tells that with him it's possible to run a
> completly free doom.
>
> If the engine packages can be used with this artwork, why are they in
> contrib and not in main?

freedoom is rather new:
lxdoom has already been moved to main.
prboom will be moved to main with the next upload once two major flaws
have been fixed.
doomlegacy might not be able to run freedoom, as freedoom should only work
engines based on boom. But according to 264816 it doesn't seem distributable
at all right now.

Cheers,
        Moritz