Re: Depending on kernel >= 2.6

> > However, if you choose the multiple package solution, adding the info to
> > the package description and making the init script choke and scream
> > loudly when not running on a 2.6 kernel is the best you can do,
> > methinks.
>
> ...Or possibly, we could prepare a package with both libraries, and
> postinst (depending on the detected kernel) would make a symlink to
> one or another, displaying a prominent note. Anyway, I do not like
> this too much, as it can lead to brokenness or underperformance... But
> it is at least a solution.

I like the idea of a wrapper script that has been suggested in this
thread - symlinking in the postinst might break when one downgrades the
kernel from 2.6 to 2.4 for some reason or the other. A wrapper script
that runs the appropriate binary is much more robust, in my opinion.

Of course, nothing beats the program itself detecting epoll support at
run-time :)

--
Gergely Nagy