Re: Unofficial buildd network has been shut down

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 12:28:41AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Concerns have been raised about DDs signing uploads build on systems
>> that don't belong to the DD or have been otherwise sanctioned by James
>> Troup or the debian-admin team. Namely all the unoficial buildds.
>
> [...]
>
>> Following your wishes expressed in this thread and on irc the
>> unofficial wanna-build and all its connected builds have been shut
>> down for now.
>
> [...]
>
>> It saddens me to see that donations of accounts and free cpu cycles to
>> DDs are no longer appreciated by Debian. Any request to (re)build
>> package must now again go solely to <arch>@buildd.debian.org.
>
> Goswin, the problem isn't that we can't accept donated cycles but that
> we need packages that we can trust, which means built by a developer in
> the Debian keyring.

No. This is not (just) about someone dropping in suddenly on irc
asking for a binary package to get sponsored but (also) about DDs
running the official buildd/sbuild software to build packages on non
DDs systems that James didn't sanction.

> It's nothing personal. I don't know the reasons why you weren't accepted
> as a DD and that's not really the issue at hand. But shutting down those
> buildds was the right thing to do I think.

As for my m68k system, as far as I can tell since James never answered
me directly, it was rejected because James thought with my DD
rejection coming up I would withdraw the system. Allowing it in
would be wasted work. Go figure.

If it were personal and Debian had reasons not to trust me that would
be OK (well, not for me but in general) but it's not. Its worse. DDs
are not allowed to think for themself and decide whom and what systems
to trust. That was the message conveyed in the thread and on irc. Its
not the place of a DD to decide for all of Debian whom to trust.

And with that I consider the matter closed.

> Hamish
> --
> Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@debian.org> <hamish@cloud.net.au>

MfG