Re: non free IETF's RFC documents in .orig.tar.gz

> Which is a terrible practice and shouldn't be done in general.  The
> .orig.tar.gz's really *should* be the same as the upstream tarball.
> Convince upstream to remove them.

Is there some sort of document or guide or the like about this issue?  I
maintain a software package that currently includes an RFC (RFC 1413) and
we package it for Debian already internally at Stanford and hopefully
eventually will have it in the main archive as well, since it's of more
general use.  I'd be happy to deal with this proactively.

Are all RFCs non-free?  Only some after a particular date or with
particular statements in them?  I'm assuming the issue is that no explicit
right to modification is granted in the RFC itself?

Is there a recommended metric for how long a document needs to be before
one should be concerned with the license on the document when including it
in the upstream tarball?  (For example, some software packages include
Usenet posts or e-mail exchanges about the history of the package, or
various documents about the design or future plans that don't have any
explicit license.)