Re: Testing netapplet

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> So, I think that this package will made more benefit being uploaded to
> the archive that not being in it.

I don't disagree.  It may turn out that we disagree over whether
such a program should make it into a stable release, though.

I find it interesting that configuration tools are held to a
lower standard than normal applications when it comes to judging
their fitness for release.  (/me reads the RC bug list ...)
There is, for example, a bug open against audacity that is rated
critical on the grounds that it "causes audio data to be lost from
some saved audacity projects".  However, if a configuration tool
such as webmin erases lines in /etc/network/interfaces then that
is considered OK so long as it wouldn't erase lines in _Grandma's_
/etc/network/interfaces file.  You would think that the standards
would be _higher_ for configuration tools than for audio editors.
If the program doing the damage were a maintainer script it would
have an RC bug report slapped on it so fast it'd make your head
spin; and Grandma wouldn't be brought into it.

I guess the thinking is that configuration tools are inherently
dangerous and are always used at one's own risk.
--
Thomas Hood