Re: Is this a serious bug?

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org> writes:

> I saw this serious bug, #268068, in the package backuppc. As I'm
> maintainer of wwwconfig-common I really want to know if this is
> a release critical bug or not. I assume that it is not but I need
> to know. Because if it is then most packages that depend on
> wwwconfig-common will have RC bugs in them, including my own.

Then backuppc must ask the user whether or not to modify the config
file.  I don't think you can assume that most programs don't do that.

So yes, this is release critical, and easily fixed.

A better solution would be for wwwconfig-common to do the asking.

But even better yet would be to find a method that doesn't require
modifying the file.  For example, by having a directory of config
files and wwwconfig-common can install into that directory.  Or, by
having a non-config file which has an automatically-managed entry for
each package that needs to install into the www configuration, and the
config file includes that one.

Thomas