Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 03:52:02PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:19, Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> wrote:
> > On 15-Aug-04, 16:28 (CDT), Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> > > I've certainly purged Apache in the past and been extremely irritated to
> > > find my logs gone, too--for me, Apache logs (including default ones) are
> > > like user data, not to be deleted lightly.  In retrospect, I should have
> > > --removed the package and deleted the old configuration by hand.
> >
> > Or stuck your valuable user data someplace other than /var/log...
>
> So logs that are considered valuable should not be in /var/log?
>
> What if I consider all logs to be valuable?  Should /var/log be empty?

I consider them to be valuble, too. That would be why /var/log/apache is,
in fact, empty of any access log on my system. The only thing that lives
there is the 'core' error log that isn't associated with any specific
virtual host, and I don't consider that terribly valuble because anything
serious enough to show up in there tends to make itself obvious while the
package is running -- and only matter in that same timeframe. IE, I don't
care why Apache failed to start two weeks ago if I've --purged it.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :