what package(s) do I submit bugs for?

Yesterday, when I got into work, my machine had hung and subsequently wouldn't boot. This led to me having to sort a number of issues to get my machine stable again. As this involved a number of hacks/bodges, I'm not sure which package(s) to raise bugs against.

First of all, my hardware. 3.2Ghz P4 Hyperthreaded machine based on the ASUS P4C800 motherboard. It's got a SATA drive as the root disk and an IDE disk where some data lives.

I run unstable distribution with the standard kernel packages. I've got kernel-image-2.6.8 installed - last time I booted, it was running 2.6.7.

The first problem was that pivot_root couldn't be found. The cause of that was that /boot/grub/menu.lst referred to /dev/hde1 rather than /dev/sda1. Fixed that by adding these lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst:

	# kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro
	# kopt_2_4_25=root=/dev/hde1 ro

So now it boots but I still don't have access to /dev/hda whereas I did when I had 2.6.7 package. Turns out the reason why was that the piix module wasn't installed. The reason it wasn't installed is because the initrd image created during installation of kernel-image-2.6.8 didn't have piix in the loadmodules file: the one in the initrd image created during the installation of kernel-image-2.6.7 contained all ide devices (including piix, ide-generic and ide-disk). Looking at mkinitrd script, I think this is because I installed the 2.6.7 image whilst running 2.4.25 and the names of the SATA device changed from hde to sda in the 2.4 to 2.6 migration.

So, I added piix, ide-generic and ide-disk to /etc/modules. And the IDE devices were recognised but as I run udev, the device /dev/hda didn't exist when /etc/rcS.d/S35mountall.sh came to run (race condition between the two) so I had to add a script S21waitforudevtosettle that sleeps for 2 seconds to allow udev to create the /dev/hda device. Similarly, I had to add a S99redohdparm to enable 32bit and DMA on my IDE drive as the installed version of S07hdparm ran before the hda device was created.

--
Andy, BlueArc Engineering