Re: Common power management infrastructure

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Bart Samwel wrote:

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 21:23 +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:51:15PM +0200, Bart Samwel wrote:

* We need a shared, state-based structure for the basic power management
functionality. I propose to use /etc/powermgmt/ as the configuration
directory, with subdirectories for events.

Please don't use completely arbitrary abbreviations. /etc/power/ would
be quite adequete anyway.

Trust me, I would have picked that if I had the chance. But that
directory is already in use by pmud. Somebody should have stopped that
package when it started to use that directory. Now it's too late. :(

Not really.  Anyone trying for commonly used words like that deserve to
get the carped pulled from under their foot.  If people do object too much
to /etc/powermgmt/, pmud loses.  You just need to conflict the base
power management structure with pmud << "someversion", and get pmud to move
its stuff somewhere else (maybe it just needs to have it in the proper place
in the new structure? that would be sweet) in "someversion".

But all this depends on people really wanting /etc/power for this.  What
are the other distros using?

I don't know if any of the other distros have a common infrastructure for this. If they _are_ in fact using /etc/power, then I think we'd be better off using something else, because the contents of our directory structure is bound to be different from theirs, and it would only lead to confusion. Except of course if we copy their structure, if it's any good. I'll do some research. Research step one: ask debian-devel. :) Does anybody here know about power management infrastructure in the other distros?

--Bart