Re: Firefox and Sarge

Hi all,

Some update on Firefox status for sarge.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 03:22:46PM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
> - The latest upstream is 0.9.3, but, as Eric said in a previous mail,
>   has still 2 RC bugs. The alpha issue had been reported on 0.9.1, so
>   maybe it has actually disappeared, and the extensions manager issue is
>   much deeper.

The 2 RC bugs are fixed in 0.9.3-2.1 uploaded yesterday to unstable.
Note that the .prerm file is fucked, a 0.9.3-2.2 fixing that will be
uploaded soon.

> - Firefox 1.0rc1, which solves the extensions manager issue, was due for
>   August 10th, but is still not released, and nobody at the moment seems
>   to know when the release might happen. "When it's ready".

Upstream roadmap[1] has been updated, and now, 1.0PR is planned for August
30th while 1.0RC1 is planned for September 20th.

So, obviously, it won't make it before freeze. The choice between
0.9.3 and 1.0 issue is gone. Now remains the question whether we want
0.9.3 to be stuck for a while in the stable release or not. I must agree
with Andrew in [2], but I think it would be the occasion to think about
something else for security in stable for packages such as mozilla.
Whatever the version will be, upstream support for it will disappear much
earlier than 18 months or 2 years. An official debian backport of newer
upstream releases would be a possibility when there's no other choice.

Anyways, let's just let firefox 0.9.3 move to testing, and see after the
freeze if we decide to remove it or not.

Many thanks to all the people who tested the version from experimental,
I'll probably upload a new up-to-date one soon.

Mike

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/08/msg01287.html