Re: Firefox and Sarge

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 03:22:46PM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:

> The main problem, as for sarge release, is that having a 0.9.3 in sarge,
> i.e. for quite some time without being able to upload a new upstream,
> might not help getting security fixes for it, especially considering the
> changes between 0.9 branch and 1.0 branch. If we can get a 1.0rc in sarge,
> security patches for 1.0 are more likely to apply without harm.

I think the main criteria for allowing Sarge to release with Firefox (of any
version) is whether it can be adequately maintained by the security team for
18 months to 2 years forward. If we can avoid something like the
Squirrelmail mess we had with Woody, that would be a Good Thing.

I'd be a bit wary of trying to provide security support for something as
fast moving as Firefox. If you reckon that 1.0 is likely to be more
manageable than a 0.9 release, then it may be doable, otherwise my
inclination would be to drop it to make life easier. It might be better off
being managed outside of Sarge on backports.org or something...

Just my $0.05 worth...

regards

Andrew