Re: Web applications

Pierre Habouzit wrote:
>  * most of web apps I know are not compatible with all dbms existing on
> earth, but only for mysql or pgsql, sometimes both. So we have to be more
> granular
Well, let the user choose default and if you're package is not up to it,
let your package handle it.

>  * dbms engines are splitted into server and cli client package. having
> the server installed is great, but the user may want to use a remote
> instead, and in order to use a remote, you have to have the cli client
> installed (btw the server depends on the cli client so no problem for
> local server)...
Hmm? Is this for mysql or for all databases?

> moreover I know (myself for example) a lot of pple that hosts some db on
> one host, and the second on another, ... and I don't want a packaging
> script make that choice for me. That's why I find the resource index
> thing quite sexy : it offers you by default things that you have, and
> don't do silent installation without any consentement that you have to
> dpkg-reconfigure afterwards.
I think that letting the user choose *the* database (as in host and
software) and *the* webserver where all webapps (that are capable of
doing so) install themselves is best. Detailed tweaking of the
configuration is not the domain of the packaging. That's why we consider
the user's config files sacred.

> please remember that web apps configuration HAS TO BE flexible enough. I
> know that asking too many questions to the user is not good. But asking
> him to few and doing things he doesn't want is painfull, and I assume we
> certainly don't want to do this.
No. Packaging should create a REASONABLE DEFAULT with as little input as
possible (see all the debconf abuse threads). Let's just give people the
coice of MySQL/PostGreSQL/None, local and remote if you wish, and
webapps foo and bar make themselves comfortable there. If you want fancy
stuff, you know how to start $EDITOR.

Kind regards

Thomas
--