Re: Web applications

Le Jeudi 19 Août 2004 17:25, sean finney a écrit :
> i think in general packages generating and installing other packages
> isn't that graceful of an idea.   something that would have more or
> less the same result could be:
>
> - Suggests: database-server (new virtual package?)
> - in the maintainer script, if no db server is installed, prompt for
>   a remote server, with the addendum "if you don't have a database
>   server, stop now and install one".  if multiple database servers
>   are installed, prompt for which one to use.

this is quite broken, for two reason at least :

 * most of web apps I know are not compatible with all dbms existing on
earth, but only for mysql or pgsql, sometimes both. So we have to be more
granular
 * dbms engines are splitted into server and cli client package. having
the server installed is great, but the user may want to use a remote
instead, and in order to use a remote, you have to have the cli client
installed (btw the server depends on the cli client so no problem for
local server)...

So I guess a smart dependency should be (for a mysal app) :
 mysql-server | mysql-client
since if the user hase none of them, it will install by default the
server, and if he already has the client -- which should mean he accesses
distant sql servers -- we have not to install one.

moreover, some projects are developped with database abstract layers, but
only with one db server, and it can be less efficient or even buggy for
others (even if theorically supported). and having literal dependencies
allow you to make it reflects this (by putting mysql-server/client before
pgsql-server/client eg)

moreover I know (myself for example) a lot of pple that hosts some db on
one host, and the second on another, ... and I don't want a packaging
script make that choice for me. That's why I find the resource index
thing quite sexy : it offers you by default things that you have, and
don't do silent installation without any consentement that you have to
dpkg-reconfigure afterwards.

please remember that web apps configuration HAS TO BE flexible enough. I
know that asking too many questions to the user is not good. But asking
him to few and doing things he doesn't want is painfull, and I assume we
certainly don't want to do this.

btw, if we are clever with debconf levels, we should make it ask no
question and do your clever default solution for pple that let do all the
conf by debconf, but for users that have at least chosen 'medium'
verebosity, they should be asked (at install time) for a db of their
choice, a web server of their choice, and some typical config of their
choice (vhost, subdirectory, or a mix of both)
--
Pierre Habouzit                                   http://www.madism.org/