Re: MIPS builds - wrong status?

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 02:24:35AM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
>>   I have noticed that one of my packages is marked as not built on mips
>> yet while in reality buildd reports them as already built:
>
>>   http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?excuse=pike7.2
>>   http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?pkg=pike7.2
>
>> Does anyone know what is stopping the package from being installed for mips?
>
> There is a human component of the upload process because all builds need
> to be reviewed and signed before being uploaded to the archive.  There
> are a number of packages in this state, so I don't really recommend
> emailing the buildd admin about individual packages -- buildd
> maintainers are quite aware of their responsibilities in this area
> without need for reminders.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

They might be aware of their responsibilities but they don't always
fullfill them. To err is human and sometimes things slipp through the
craks. Sending a polite reminder when something is amiss can help
notice such cases.

But before you do bother one of the busy buildd admins make sure you
know whats going on.

Lets find out whats going on pike7.2:

Step 1: check the wanna-build status for your package (e.g. on buildd.net)

http://www.buildd.net/cgi/package_status?all_pkg=pike7.2&searchtype=go

|interpreters/pike7.2_7.2.580-2: Uploaded by buildd_mips-r5k [optional:out-of-date]
|  Previous state was Building until 2004 Aug 10 02:45:00

If you don't know what the state means, buildd.net also has some docs.

In this case the state is "Uploaded", meaning the package was build
successfully and signed by the buildd admin.

"Uploaded" is suposed to be a very temporary state lasting only 15
minutes tops before the incoming queue accepts the package. Given the
age of it something has gone wrong. The package has failed to get
accepted.

Now it is your turn to decide if 6 days means the buildd admin is just
busy but will clean up the mess once he has time or if he overlooked
the problem. Personally I would wait a week but with the current
backlog ...

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Best case of action (as in quick and not anoying anyone) is to
build the package manualy or ask a friend to build it.