Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 12:35:19AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:45, Michael Ablassmeier <abi@grinser.de> wrote:
> > On 2004-08-15, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> > > No.  You should remove the default log files only.  Other log files are
> > > the administrator's business.
> >
> > if you want your Logfiles to be save, make backups (thats also
> > administrators business).
>
> Yes of course.  Instead of backups being used for hardware failures or human
> errors

It was a human error.  The program did something that you didn't expect, but
which is a quite reasonable expectation.

> we can use them to work around stubborn package maintainers who claim
> that removing non-package data is not a bug and happily create packages that
> trash important data.

File a serious bug against apache then, and when it get summarily closed
take it up with the TC.  While you're at it, file a bug against tmpreaper
and whatever it is that cleans up /tmp at boot, because they have the
possibility of trashing important data, too.

- Matt