Suppressing loading of a kernel module

I am running Debian testing with the 2.6.7-1-k7 kernel on a computer with the Nvidia Nforce 2 chipset. I would like to use the optical S/PDIF output to drive a 5.1 speaker system.

As I understand it the proprietary Nvidia sound driver module (nvsound) provides better support for 6 channel audio than does the i810_audio driver in the kernel sources. I have downloaded and installed the NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0283-pkg1.run file from the Nvidia download site. That appears to have been successful and I have an nvsound module for this kernel. However, on reboot the i810_audio module continues to be loaded before the nvsound module and it takes precedence. I have been unable to discover how to suppress the loading of the i810_audio module. It is not clear to me what is causing it to be loaded. I can see that some of the entries in /lib/modules/2.6.7-1-k7/modules.alias and /lib/modules/2.6.7-1-k7/modules.pcimap have the same signature for i810_audio and nvsound and I have commented out those aliases for i810_audio but that module still gets loaded.

Please cc: me on replies. I have suspended my debian-devel subscription while I am at a location with only dial-up access.