Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 01:03:26AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:24, Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 01:58:15PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > I just purged package apache as part of an upgrade to apache 2.  It
> > > removed all the log files!!!
> > >
> > > Removing log files without asking is unacceptable.
> >
> > ... and yet mandated by Policy.
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s10.8
>
> Policy does not mandate "rm -rf" on the entire directory tree.

Firstly, that isn't what you were complaining about in your initial e-mail.

> Removing /var/log/apache/access.log* /var/log/apache/error.log* and attempting
> rmdir on /var/log/apache satisfies the requirements of policy.

That's possibly dangerous because you might have named your log file
access.log.myvirtualhost, and we'll be back with the same discussion again.

> Removing subdirectories of /var/log/apache and files other than access.log*
> and error.log* in /var/log/apache is not required or expected and can only
> give a bad result.

I would argue that it is expected, as that directory is dedicated to the
storage of Apache log files, and Policy says that packages will remove their
log files at purge.

It's somewhat akin to storing files you want to keep forever in /tmp -- the
name of the directory says "temporary", after all.

> If you don't create it then don't remove it!

If you don't want to remove it then don't --purge.  I can understand you're
probably very pissed at having this happen, but don't blame the system
because it did what you (erroneously) asked it to.

- Matt