Re: 0-day NMUs [Was: Bug-Squashing Week, August 16th - 22th]

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 09:19:57AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:35:31PM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> > > We need to make sure that we don't make things worse by introducing
> > > wrong fixes or breaking packages. Therefor we should _not_ introduce
> > > something like a 0-day NMU policy. DELAYED/3-Day should suffice for most
> > > cases. As usual patches should be made minimal, especially so short
> > > before release!

> > I'm afraid I have to disagree with Frank.  Particularly so close to the
> > release, 3 days can definitely make the difference between a package
> > being ready in time for sarge, and not being ready in time.  Moreover,
> > history shows us that 0-day NMUs have been very effective at bringing
> > the RC bug count down rapidly.

> There are easier ways to get the RC bug count down rapidly.  The
> challenge is to actually improve packages to the point where they're
> releasable.  Unfortunately, it's also hard to gauge if an NMU improved a
> package or not.  wrt those packages which were 0-day NMU'd previously
> which had non-MIA maintainers I've heard a number of complaints about
> the NMU and where the maintainer has done another upload to correct the
> NMU.

Well, while you've brought this up before, there seems to be a shortage
of data points for us to look at that would support an argument that
delayed NMUs result in an improvement in the quality of packages that
hit the archive.  What we do see is that the overall *volume* of NMUs
increases when 0-day NMUs are instated, which would suggest an increase
in the absolute number of broken NMUs -- but not necessarily a relative
increase.

> Of course, there are quite a few packages w/ MIA maintainers and so you
> don't immediately hear about poorly done NMU's except to see the RC
> bugs get closed.

Which, in fact, means that the sooner the NMU for one of these packages
reaches the archive, the better the chances that someone will notice the
problem before release, since there's more time for people to look.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer