Re: 0-day NMUs [Was: Bug-Squashing Week, August 16th - 22th]

* Steve Greenland (steveg@moregruel.net) wrote:
> On 12-Aug-04, 08:19 (CDT), Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > And give the maintainer an opportunity to respond to those bugs, at
> > *least* a couple of hours..
>
> A "couple of hours" is effectively "no time at all". Not every developer
> can monitor their e-mail every hour, 24 hours a day. Some of us sleep,
> ya know. :-)

Erm, it's at least something though.  No, we don't all monitor it 24/7,
but I think it'd be better than nothing, as I mentioned, a day would be
better.

> I'd say either be prepared to wait a few days, or do it right away and
> upload it to, say, the 3-day delayed queue (posting bug, patch, and NMU
> status to BTS). That gives the maintainer a chance to look at it and
> reject/correct, but allows you (the NMU-er) to move on.

The complaint was that waiting 3 days was too long.  I don't believe the
NMU'er should be concerned only with 'moving on'- once the NMU is done
they *have* to monitor the package afterwards too in order to make sure
their NMU didn't cause problems.

	Stephen