Re: build, build-arch and build-indep targets in debian/rules

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 07:56:16PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
> >> Also current practice does not follow policy. Policy says
> >> Build-Depends-Indep is needed for the build target, in practice that
> >> is not true or the buildds would fail.
> >
> > But that's a different issue, no?
>
> It needs a policy change to sync the two again.

Withouth giving to much thought to it:

The build-target should probably continue to depend on both build-arch
and build-indep (if they are used), so I guess Build-Depends-Indeps
should be installed as well if the build target gets invoked?

Would we really need a policy change if dpkg-buildpackage was modified
to simply call build-arch instead of build? Which would mean the build
target does not get invoked and Build-Depends-Indep do not need to be
installed.

Michael