Re: build, build-arch and build-indep targets in debian/rules

(dropping -policy)

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:06:59AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
> > Well, buildd calls dpkg-buildpackage, so the easiest way would be to
> > just change dpkg-buildpackage to honor build-arch, IMHO. No need to
> > change policy for this[1].

> Yes we do given that build-arch can't be savely detected, or so
> several people insist.

Well, Scott James Remnant did not mention he'd see a problem with that
when he made a comment on the Makefile stuff in this thread. Maybe he
will voice his opinion on this more clearly eventually.

> Also current practice does not follow policy. Policy says
> Build-Depends-Indep is needed for the build target, in practice that
> is not true or the buildds would fail.

But that's a different issue, no?

> > AFAIK, this is only hard if you do not assume debian/rules is a
> > Makefile. I am not sure what the current take of the dpkg maintainers is
> > on this, but I hope they consider changing the behaviour of
> > dpkg-buildpackage at some point during the next release cycle.

> debian/rules must be a makefile now.

Are you sure this changed recently? AFAIK, this has been the case for a
long time now, it's just dpkg which has always made a broader
assumption. (I only casually glanced over the policy changes though)

> All buildds build in unstable. Otherwise something is seriously wrong.
> And unless I'm seriously mistaken dpkg-buildpackage from inside the
> chroot is used to build, which makes it the sid version.

Indeed, I was confused here. Good.

Michael