Re: gcl/axiom/acl2/maxima versioned depends on binutils-dev

Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com> writes:

> Greetings!  All programs built atop the gcl common lisp system are
> capable of loading compiled binary objects and relinking and saving a
> new system image, in most cases via libbfd.  The bfd compiled into gcl
> must be compatible with that against which the system ld is
> dynamically linked for this to work.  The simple solution is to make a
> versioned depends on binutils-dev, but I don't want to be in the
> position of having to re-upload all these programs when binutils
> changes.  Rather, I'd like a new (incompatible) binutils to trigger a
> rebuild first of gcl and then of maxima,acl2, and axiom automatically
> via the autobuilders if possible.  Can this be done?

No.

Why not? Every new upload to the archive has to have a version higher
than the one present. That means that at the minimum you need to patch
the changelog file to make a binary-only recompile upload
(e.g. x.y-z.0.1). While the buildds have a mechanism to patch sources
on build and to requeue sources for a rebuild there is no mechanism in
place to distribute such patches or to autogenerate them when another
package is uploaded.

Alos note that you have to recompile the package on all architectures
anyway, so (unless you have a huge diff) uploading a new debian
revision is far simpler.

Since I am involved in packages with a similar problem
(sourcerer-kernel-builder, amd64-libs and grub) I have spend some
thoughts on this. I think the best thing is to setup a cron job or an
apt watcher (see sourcerer-kernel-builder) that monitors updates of
the respective packages, generates a new source package in the
background and mails the maintainer for testing and uploading.

> Take care,
> --
> Camm Maguire			     			camm@enhanced.com
> "The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."  --  Baha'u'llah

MfG
        Goswin