Re: No libtiff transition for sarge

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 06:00:28PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 06:46:09PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Nicely spotted. Seems like libgpg-error0 somehow missed radar, another
> >> case for tpu, imho.
> >
> >  Woops! That's was really my fault. I check that there were no internal
> >  need to upgrade shlibs, but I forgot to change shlibs creation.
> >  Anyway, such change should be made, as new interfaces have been added
> >  from 0.7 to 1.0. A package using that should be able to say that he
> >  needs the new version.
>
> If you have new features shlibs needs to be bumped. To fix this in sid
> it looks like you have to upload the old 0.7 version with an epoch or
> as 1.0-realy-0.7 and recompile everything against it (assuming nothing
> uses the new features yet).
>
> Both is rather ugly.

Could anyone explain how this could work in practice?

Since in both cases the version would be higher than the one currently
in unstable, a package compiled with 1.0 would be allowed to use 0.7 .

You could add versioned conflicts for current users of libgpg-error0 in
unstable and update the build dependencies of such packages using
libgpg-error0.

> MfG
>         Goswin

cu