Re: build, build-arch and build-indep targets in debian/rules

Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> writes:

> Hi, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>
>> make -f debian/rules -pn | grep '^build-arch:'
>
> Umm, that's the "is debian/rules required to be a Makefile" can of worms.
>
> At the moment, it isn't.

Wrong:

http://release.debian.org/sarge_rc_policy.txt

	debian/rules must be an executable makefile, beginning with the
	line "#!/usr/bin/make -f" so that it can be invoked by running
	the makefile rather than invoking make explicitly.

The Release team has make debian/rules a Makefile for sarge. After
having it a requesite for stable I guess policy will be changed to
follow current practice and to set this in stone.

MfG
        Goswin