Re: dehs and new watch files... was: Re: uscan over all packages....

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Jérôme Warnier wrote:

> >   1. Upstream maintainers sometimes have a strange idea about numbering
> >      their source file versions, which makes it hard to write watch files.
> The vast majority is predictable, though. And it is their interest to
> provide with sensible numbering scheme, otherwise even users get
> confused.
Well, once I was unable to convince upstream that it is not enough to just
upload a new file with same name and let people verify date and size ...

> >   2. It is not always necessary to package each upstream version.  Sometimes
> >      it make sense to stick to a certain version and wait until users
> >      ask explicitely (via wishlist "New version available" bug) for a
> >      new version.  This keeps you in contact with your users on the
> >      one hand and others like to stabelize to certain versions.
> It would still be the maintainer's decision to package or not, but he
> would have a powerful tool to remind him, and even help him in many
> cases.
Sure.

> I will take a look at that soon, but I don't know if you package
> something I often use and find useful.
Fair enough. ;-)

Kind regards (and sorry for warming up this thread after such a long time)

          Andreas.