Re: New Accounting Project Was: Debian GnuCash packages orphaned

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 07:59:50AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> William Ballard writes:
> > GnuCash is the best of the lot, but that isn't saying very much.
>
> I consider SQL-Ledger superior, but that isn't saying much either.  There
> is a new Alioth project called Advacs to produce an accounting system
> suitable for small business.  It will not be a Quickbooks clone.  There
> isn't much there yet, but I hope to soon put up a tentative rationale and
> maybe some code from a toy system I wrote years ago.  Please join and help.

For my personal finances I use the tool I wrote
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pim-tb to display and enter data
according to some schema, and then use xsltproc and perl to do
interesting things with the resulting XML.

I didn't like how the U/Is of in particular GNUCash felt; and I felt
stifled by their schemas: my tool works with any relational schema and
lets me bop around and look at and manipulate small sets of data.

It starts very fast, so I can whap it open and slap in some stuff, and
get out.

For instance I can download statements from the bank and use perl and
xsltproc to massage them into a schema the tool can display.