Re: [pryzbyj: maint scripts]

On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 12:40:50PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:14:49PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > As per policy, my unofficial package of IRAF now includes a perl script
> > update-extern.pkg.pl which is installed in /usr/bin/.  It will be used
> > by external IRAF packages, each of which need to update extern.pkg.  Of
> > course, each also depends on IRAF.  If memory serves, the script
> > shouldn't have the .pl extension; can someone remind me why?  (I like it
> > because then vim color-highlights it).
>
> Because the user of your script doesn't care what language it's written
> in. It's just a program. The OS doesn't care either, because it looks
> for "#!/usr/bin/perl".
>
> And BTW, VIM doesn't care either; it can work out that it's perl without
> the .pl extension.
Mine doesn't work like that; am I missing an option?

> Finally, should your script be in /usr/sbin instead if it's only going to be
> called by package maintainer scripts? (Perhaps even /usr/lib?).
Nope, /usr/bin/ is intentional; iraf has its own user, which is meant to
be used by the "IRAF administrator", in the case that its different from
the general system administrator.  /usr/{lib,share}/iraf/ are
iraf:nogroup.  The IRAF admin shouldn't have to specify /usr/sbin/.

Can someone comment on how user 'iraf' relates to Policy?  I don't know
if package's users are actually supposed to be used like that; for now
its a debconf option.

Cheers,
--
Justin
aptitude install iraf saods9 eclipse xpa sextractor x11iraf wcstools pyraf