Re: Bits from the WNPP: RFH tag

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:35:39AM +1000, Paul Hampson <Paul.Hampson@anu.edu.au> was heard to say:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:57:13PM +1000, Ben Burton wrote:
> > I'd propose using "(s)he" and "his/her", or else using "they" and
> > "their", depending on where your aesthetic tastes lie.
>
> > (Similar comments apply throughout the WNPP overview page.)
>
> Does Debian have a specific policy about this? 'cause I don't
> think either (s)he or his/her type replacements are nearly as
> aesthetic...
>
> Also, try the text marked '*' at the bottom of this link:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/04/08/new_winnt_2k_xp_security/
> for a justification to leave it as it is.

  That text is an argument against using "she" as a generic pronoun, and
to that extent I agree with it: attempting to genericize "she" is just
confusing and leads to funny-looking prose.  You will, however, note
that this is not one of the alternatives Ben suggested.

  Daniel

| "A game which, from the viewpoint of the other players (ie, everyone) might |
|  be compared to playing poker with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a |
|  Dealer who won't tell you the rules and who /smiles all the time/."        |
|   -- Terry Pratchett, _Good Omens_                                          |
\----------------- The Turtle Moves! -- http://www.lspace.org ----------------/