Re: libtiff4 transition: please rebuild your packages

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 12:56:30PM +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 02:18:46AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > There doesn't seem to have been an announcement here about it when
> > libtiff4 hit unstable.  Better late than never.  The new libtiff4
> > package has been in unstable for several days, and is available on all
> > architectures.  Some people have already started uploading fixed
> > versions of their packages; if you maintain a package affected by this
> > transition and haven't reuploaded yet, your cooperation is appreciated.
> > You are encouraged to upload your rebuild-only packages with a medium
> > urgency, to help make this transition as quick as possible.

> I'm a maintainer of asc which depends on libtiff3.
> However it depends indirectly by libsdl-image1.2-dev.

> SDL has been uploaded yesterday with the fixed dependencies, but with a low
> priority. What will happen if I will upload my package with the medium
> priority? I think it's useless cause it will have to wait for libsdl.

> Any hints for unexperienced maintainer? ;)

All of these packages will have to go into testing together; so none of
them can go in until all are rebuilt.  Because sdl-image1.2 was
uploaded with low urgency, the earliest libtiff4 can make it into sarge
is 11 Aug.  If you upload asc today with low urgency, that will push the
migration back another day to 12 Aug; but if uploaded with medium
urgency, it won't (necessarily) delay the transition unless you wait
until August 6 before uploading.

Uploading with urgency=medium still has the benefit of making sure
*your* package isn't the one holding up the migration. ;)

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer