Re: amd64 and sarge

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Xavier Roche wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > Please accept this: Bi-Arch is dead. Just dead.
>
> Yes, yes - this is not a major issue. As long as multiarch is planned
> "soon", this is not a problem.

Yes, it is planned for as soon as possible after sarge release.

Mulitarch does depend on having two existing architectures that can run
under the same kernel though, so the multiarch deal doesn't do much good
for amd64 unless there is both an i386 and amd64 arch (in some way).

Multiarch is a rather substantial change to infrastructure and many lib
packages, so I'm honestly not that hopeful of it going in as a point
release. I might be wrong though, I'm no release manager.

And until that, well, amd64 plus the ia32-libs package does make it
possible to run lots (most? at least everything I've tried..) ia32
software, free and non-free. It might be ugly, but at least it works.

/Mattias Wadenstein