Re: apt-listchanges installed by default

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 05:46:21PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > I agreed to implement whatever scheme could be agreed upon for translating
> > NEWS.Debian, but as far as I have heard, that has not been established.
>
> Translaton would be nice, but IMHO it's not a blocker for this, we're
> not at the point of having all of debian translated, and news items
> would not appear during the base-config part of the install, which is as
> far as we've gotten with near-complete translations so far.

I agree; as I said, I have no outstanding issues other than the priority
one.

> > On a vaguely related note, recently some folks have noted that the display
> > of news is not easily distinguished from the display of changelogs, which is
> > [...]
> I had the same experience. I thought it used to put news at the top with
> a header and then changelogs, and I found this more obvious than the
> current display of news in one pager, and changelogs in the second.

Using separate pagers fits much better with the implementation; it allows
changelogs and news to be easily sent in separate emails, with different
subjects, for example (both wishlists that I find useful as well).  In a
hypothetical GUI frontend, I would want the news displayed in a separate
window as well, I think.  It makes it easy for the user to read the news and
dismiss the changelogs if they don't care to read them.

I do think it would be nice to display a distinguishing header or such at
the top of the news; I'm open to suggestions about what it would look like.

--
 - mdz