Re: forking source: dcc

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 04:54, Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> Anyway, what's a "fork", exactly? Isn't a Debian package in which the .diff
> is very big some kind of "fork"? I think you can make the .diff as big
> as you need while keeping the .orig.tar.gz untouched.

The general idea with a .diff for Debian is that it contains two types of
patches.  There's things that will get merged upstream if possible (IE new
features developed by Debian people), and there's Debian specific changes (IE
Debian uses different directories than the ones that upstream likes).

If there are patches that don't fall into those categories (EG re-writing of
sub-systems in a way that upstream doesn't like) then the package is forked
in all practical ways.

If you change the name of the package and declare it as a different package
then it's a real fork.  Bonnie++ was a real fork of Bonnie.  Debian's PAM is
practically a fork of the upstream PAM.