On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 11:10:20AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> > you mount the 64bit / inside the 32bit chroot (thus creating a circle)
> > and then configure the mime.type to use dchroot to change back into
> > 64bit.
>
> Doesn't this blow efficiency out of the water?  Doesn't this mean
> that VFS has to maintain two independent references to the files
> (and libraries) in question?

No.  We have a single dentry tree for all places where given fs is mounted.
Maintaining more than one copy would be absolute nightmare.

What we do have is a separate mount tree *and* forest of dentry trees.
Node in the mount tree refers to dentry tree of fs mounted at that
place.  Many nodes can refer to the same fs just fine.

That's how bindings work, BTW - they simply create a new node in mount tree,
refering to the target of binding.

Filesystem itself doesn't know and doesn't care where and how many times
it or its subtrees are seen in the mount tree.  Ditto for VM, etc.

That assumes Linux 2.4 or later.  Debian/*BSD ports are AFAICS x86-only
and I've no idea (or desire to know) how Debian/Turd behaves (IIRC, it's
also x86-only, anyway).