Re: "Fastest Linux of the world", hardware detection, X11 config

Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   Most of those existed when I started using Debian (the obvious
> exceptions are interface scripts and xml catalogs, which are certainly
> great things to have).  menu was stagnant for years, and seems to be
> basically ignored by the new desktops; doc-base is dead as far as I know.
> There is an effort at unifying font configuration, but I've never been
> able to get it to work properly on any of my systems.
>
>   When I started using Debian in '98, I had the impression integration
> was important...but many of the new packages we've added since then don't
> seem to do very much in the way of integrating with the rest of the system.
> KDE and Gnome are especially bad this way, maybe because they have their
> hands full just integrating with themselves.

It's decidedly unfortunate that KDE and Gnome ignore the Debian menus
(and ignore requests to do better) and that no work has been done on
menu lately to make it more palatable to them. It's also a pity that we
still don't have one master document registry, but rather have the
scrollkeeper stuff and I don't remember what else. I think it's a long
way from these two places we could be better to the conclusion that new
packages are not integrated at all.

>   If it does, I haven't noticed; I still have to manually configure my
> video card, monitor size, and mouse type even on new Sarge/unstable
> installations.

if you'd like to give us enough information to work with about what
version of the installer, version of debian, installation media, and
harware, perhaps in the form of an installation report, we can look at
this. In my experience the last ~15 machines I have installed the debian
installer on were all able to autodetect the video card (with one
exception), mouse, and get a reasonable resolution, with a total of
about three questions. All three questons have incorrect default answers
-- you have to _tell_ X to probe for things like the mouse still; I've
filed bugs on this and they've not been adressed by the X maintainers.

>   I'm not trying to belittle what the installer team does; it was a huge
> improvement the last time I used it.  (although, as I mentioned above,
> I've never seen X autodetection work properly and yes, I didn't realize
> that it was supposed to work)  hotplug and discover are great for
> by hand, even though I'm pretty sure the information it wants is available
> from the autodetection systems.

Information such as?

--
see shy jo